Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Anchorage today, Toolik Lake tomorrow...


Rich and I arrived in Anchorage last night just after mid-night. It was an uneventful flight from Knoxville to Minneapolis and then to our first stop in Alaska. Rich and I both commented that although it was dark when we left the Twin Cities, it got progressively lighter as we flew north. Anchorage was bathed in dim sunlight at the time we landed...


 
I woke early and went for a run along one of Anchorage's many greenways. I was warned to keep an eye open for moose, but didn't see one. It was, nonetheless, a beautiful morning with temperatures in the high sixties at 6:00am and a predicted high of 85F for the day. We were told that temperatures this high were unusual for this time of the year.

Rich and I walked to a near-by sporting goods store to pick up a few last minute items, including mosquito spray. We were told that although it would get progressively cooler as we traveled north, the mosquitoes were bound to be active by the time we arrived in Toolik Lake. Better safe than sorry!

We are now at the airport waiting for our flight to Prudhoe Bay. There, Rich and I will catch a shuttle to Toolik Lake where we will stay until Thursday. My understanding is that the drive down the Dalton Highway to Toolik Lake from Phudhoe Bay is spectacular so looking forward to that.